Monday, April 22, 2013

Vintage Curious George with music box

I have had this in my closet for a while. I have not been able to figure out the exact age but he is at least 25 years old. It's the same Curious George that we have all known and loved because he has been around for a long time!

He was a character from a series of books that were written and illustrated by Hans Augusto Rey and Margaret Rey. The couple fled Paris on bicycles in 1940 carrying the manuscript and published the first book in 1941 and 6 more followed.  My mother read and loved Curious George as a child, followed by myself and then my 3 children  fell in love with him and now he has become popular again with all of my grandchildren. I have grown to love watching the episodes on PBS with the grand babies and even watch it on my own sometimes. Yes, I love him.
This plush Curious George has a wind up music box that still works. He was made by Knickerbocker and has a tag but its pretty worn as you can see but you can still read the word Knickerbocker. He measures at 14".
The wind up key is on the left  just above the  ragged knickerbocker tag.


Here he is from the front:



Here he is on the back.



If you are interested or have any questions you can comment here.




5 comments:

  1. You selling this? If so price? Thanks! I had one of these as a kid, I am now 35!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! I can't believe I have finally found him! I have looked for a working music box. Mine hasn't worked for as long as I can remember.My George is worn with love & tears, for he saw me through some of the most difficult times of my childhood. I am now 37 by the grace of God. I wish I knew what the tune is he played. Do u know the name of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is your George still available? If so, how much are you asking for him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't matter the price, I just want to give him his new last home. He will always be taken care of & loved. Please respond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so surprised to see all these comments. I have been neglecting this blog as you can tell. If anyone is interested in this Curious George still please contact me at myneurotica@gmail.com and make an offer. Thanks ~Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to ask questions about anything you see here. Thanks for visiting and I look forward to your questions and comments.